Information On Fitness & Gym Franchises
A rising level of health consciousness has had a positive impact on Australia’s gym and fitness industry, with franchises playing an important role in this sector.
According to key market research, the fitness industry in Australia is due to rise to $2.4bn by 2022/23, so now might be the ideal time to take advantage of a gym franchise opportunity.
It is a sector that has been innovating with the times, with 24/7 gyms offering a level of convenience that consumers are more than happy to take advantage of.
With that in mind, it is no surprise that an IBISWorld’s report has revealed the gyms and fitness centers are among Australia’s most successful franchise opportunities.
In fact, this is a sector that is doing well in most areas, with fitness companies often listed among the quickest growing franchises throughout the world.
The Australian Industry and Skills Committee listed the following as the most important skills for people working within this industry:
- Customer service / Marketing skills: Once you get the customers, you have to be able to show them that your business is one that is worth returning to.
- Teamwork and communication skills: If you are working hands-on in the fitness industry, you will be helping people achieve their goals and aims. Of course, there will be times where this process is difficult. That is where it will be important that you work together and communicate the process well.
- Problem solving skills: Like with running any other business, running a fitness business requires you to be able to solve problems as you go. For instance, during the pandemic, when indoor training was difficult, some fitness organisations organised outdoor classes.
- Self-management skills: Managing your time, as well as your business’ goings-on requires self-management. This is a useful skill in any industry, but especially important in the fitness sector.
- Technical / job specific skills: Of course, if you are going to work as an instructor within your franchise, you will need the necessary know-how.
- Managerial / Leadership: Running your ownfitness franchise will likely lead to you managing people. Therefore, it is important you know how to lead a team to success.
With that in mind, here are some facts and trends about Australia’s gym and fitness industry.
- The fitness industry in Australia has gone from strength to strength, with recent 2019 figures estimating approximately 3,468 fitness centers and gyms located across the country.
- The most significant area for growth in this industry was the availability of 24-hour clubs, due to the attraction of convenience and low fees.
- Most gym-goers in Australia go approximately two times per week.
- According to a report by Fitness Australia, the majority of gym members throughout the country are members of franchise clubs or privately owned clubs.
- The same report stated that the location is the strongest factor for those choosing a gym in Australia, with cost incentive the second most important factor. After that, specific gym offerings are a consideration, but are much less crucial.
- It also stated that Australian Capital Territory has the highest rate of utilisation of Fitness/Gym activities for men and women, and the Northern Territory the lowest.
- According to this research, in all states and territories, women participate at higher rates than men.
- The future looks bright for the fitness industry, with estimates suggesting there will be a further increase of fitness jobs reaching 43,900 by the year 2024.
- The Australian Industry and Skills Committee said this about the fitness industry: “Strong growth has been experienced by the fitness industry and this is expected to continue over the next five years. The expansion of budget gym chains and premium functional fitness, along with increasing awareness of the health benefits of physical activity and a growth in health consciousness are main contributors to growth.”
- The employment level in the Sports and Physical Recreation Activities industry rose substantially over the period between 2001 and 2019 (from around 43,100 to 117,800).
What Is a Gym Franchise?
A gym franchise is an opportunity to buy into an existing company through opening your own branch. Your new business opportunity enjoys instant name recognition, and you have access to all kinds of equipment, images, decor, and marketing materials that are already familiar to your customers.
It’s important to recognize the difference between a gym franchise and a fitness franchise. A gym franchise offers people a place to work out on top-notch equipment. Think of Plus Fitness, for instance. A fitness franchise is similar but broader, offering classes and other types of health-related activities. Genesis is a prime example.
There are many advantages to opening a gym and fitness franchise, opposed to opening an independent fitness business. They include the following:
- Brand recognition: People will know what your business does, and it is also likely that they will know people in other locations that use its services. This is valuable, as it takes the uncertainty out of the process for potential members and clients.
- Franchise can help you with site selection. This can be a tedious part of starting any business and in the fitness sector it is difficult to know just what the requirements of what you will need are. However, if you have experts helping you, this can reduce the stress of this process dramatically.
- Ongoing training and support: When you have this, you will be able to contact people who know and understand the process you went through. Of course, this will allow you to get into your stride and start running your business and making money.
- Marketing: It sounds obvious, but bigger organisations usually have bigger marketing budgets. And if you arejoining a franchiseopposed to starting an independent business, it is likely that you will be benefiting from such a budget.
Open a Gym Franchise in Australia
Did you know that nearly 50% of Australian people ages 18–24 participate in fitness clubs, gyms and other sports activities? Percentages are high for people in other age groups, too. These statistics should give you a little encouragement if you’ve been thinking about opening a gym or fitness franchise in Australia. The fitness industry is booming, so there’s plenty of room for you to join in.
How To Start a Gym Franchise in Australia
Your first step in starting a gym franchise of your own is to do your research. Look at several Australian gym franchises and see which one is a good fit for you. Next, determine your budget. Franchise opportunities involve initial investments, including a franchise fee that allows you to buy into the company. You may have to take out a small business loan to get started, so read the terms and requirements carefully and only sign something once all your questions are answered.
You also have to search for a location for your gym franchise and write up a business plan. This plan helps you keep track of everything from your budget to roles for your future employees. You can include your purpose statement, marketing ideas, and goals.
Here at Franchise Direct, we can help you identify fitness or gym franchises that are a good fit for you. You can read reviews from other franchise owners, learn how to connect with companies, and discover exactly what you need to get started. We put all that information and more right at your fingertips.
So don’t delay. Embark on a fitness journey for yourself and your customers with a gym franchise of your own.